Director of Construction Logistics
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob ID 10391666 Date posted 12/31/2018 Location Chicago, Illinois Job Type Full-time - Regular
Job Summary: This role will be responsible to build and manage relationships with GWR's internal clients and the vendors who support the exciting and varied water park construction program across the US and internationally. The Director of Construction Logistics will bring strong knowledge of procurement principles around the end-to-end construction planning, implementation and execution phases. This role will be part of the team supporting multiple project sites in a fast-paced demanding environment. This role will lead the management of GWR's supply base ensuring stakeholders get what they want, when they want it and at the best value possible. The primary focus of the role is to ensure GWR obtains as much value as possible from its third party spend, which includes things like minimizing the number of suppliers, identifying areas for savings across the construction program.
- Act as the lead regulator for the materials, equipment and capital plant required for a construction project, in which he/she purchases the products in accordance with the established budgets.
- Responsible for ensuring that the construction contract maximizes profitability and efficiency, and the most cost-effective materials and capital equipment are used to lower investment cost. This role is key in the overall profitability of each project, due to fluctuations in the cost of materials an equipment required.
- Proactively seek quotes on prices and availability of materials and capital equipment from a variety of suppliers and manage and report on the cumulative cost of all new purchases. Also responsible in ensuring that all materials comply with health and safety guidelines, and that the project manager is fully briefed on the cost of materials.
- Plan, organize, implement and execute project procurement pertaining to design/construction, FF&E, and operating supplies and equipment.
- Oversee budget management and timely completion of all GWR involving new construction, conversions, property expansions, renovations, and new capital projects.
- Serve in a leadership and support capacity as the liaison and single point of contact among internal and external resources, key partners and suppliers.
- Other responsibilities include:
- Support the Senior Project Executives and Project Managers with their overall management responsibility for the execution development/construction and operating projects, ensuring that each project is completed on time and within the contracted budget
- Ensure design specifications meet brand standards
- Research and help to identify business opportunities for Senior Project Executives and Project Managers to reduce investment cost
- Foster and build relationships with internal and external design/construction firms, architects, interior designers, and suppliers
- Formulate and implement improved processes and procedures in supply chain enhancements
- Coordinate, conduct and participate in meetings with internal and external departments, key stakeholders and suppliers to develop project critical path timelines and purchasing strategies
- Develop a coordinated logistics plan to manage the supply chain, transportation, including the delivery to site, of GWR's directly purchased major capital equipment, FFE and OSE including arrangements for off-site warehousing and inventory control, in conjunction with the Senior Project Executives and Project Managers. Responsible to sequence and arrange the bringing to site for installation, FFE, OSE and equipment in accordance with the overall programming and schedule of the project.
- Travel to property and/or supplier sites. Facilitate the execution and approval process of supplier purchase orders while ensuring successful completion of each capital project.
- Craft negotiation strategies serve as lead negotiator with current and potential suppliers, and close deals with optimal terms. These suppliers will range from manufacturers of water park attractions, major plant and equipment, through to suppliers and Purchasing agents of FFE and OSE
- Coordinate with in house Legal on contract agreement
- Design and ensure compliance with purchasing policies
- Set up and manage relationships with local customs clearance agencies
- Track and report key functional metrics to reduce expenses and improve effectiveness
- Perform cost and scenario analysis, and benchmarking
- Communicate all information in a timely manner to internal teams, external customers and suppliers, including preparing project status reports
- Implement and lead departmental construction and purchasing processes and procedures to ensure strategies and directives of department are carried out in accordance with company project objectives
- Inform leadership of progress and advise on key issues to help the decision-making process
- Assess actual performance against standards to reconcile whether the department is on target to reach goals and take corrective actions as necessary
- Research and resolve any project related discrepancies and disputes
Required Qualifications and ESSENTIAL SKILLS include but are not limted to the following:
- Bachelor's Degree in Business or Engineering, Supply Chain, Inventory Management, Commercial Procurement or other applicable field
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in multi-million-dollar construction project buying
- Proven experience as a leader in the construction related company and commercial environment with a demonstrated ability for leading complex commercial and contractual negotiations, competitive market analysis, and ongoing supplier performance management/scorecards
- Superior negotiator with a proven track record of delivering results relative to value, total cost, terms, quality and service
- Proven track record of negotiating & executing effective supply agreements for capital equipment and bulk purchasing
- Experience drafting RFP's and other formal procurement documents
- Experience with construction contracts including GMP, Design Build, and Lump Sum Contracting
- Creative and innovative problem-solver.
- Superior interpersonal skills:
- Ease in working with people up and down the organization hierarchy.
- Naturally adaptive to different audiences
- Diplomatically assertive.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with individuals and groups at all levels within and outside GWR